Movies are a choice of almost every individual. It is even more fun when these movies are seen in some different language. But, we often lag in understanding the foreign language. Here, the subtitles come to the rescue. We have compiled a list to Download Movie Subtitles for Free.
Why do we need Subtitles?
While watching a movie in a new language, understanding the dialogues is a must. Subtitles are the dialogues so written on the screen in either of your preferred languages. Watching movies in a foreign language with subtitles is a great way to learn new slang words and expressions that you can use in your daily routine.
Subtitles are great not just for the new languages, but also to get the correct pronunciations of certain words.
These are generally seen in English (being a universal language).
Many of you might be wondering how to get the subtitles for your favorite movie?
Sit back and relax!
Best Sites to Download Movie Subtitles For Free
After extensive research, we have listed for you;
1. Use Open Subtitles to Download Movie Subtitles for Free
Topping our charts is, opensubtitles.org.
The site claims to have more than 5.5 million subtitles, which is a vast collection to search from.
Here are the reasons why this website is number 1 in our list:
- The website has the biggest multi-language subtitle database.
- No registration needed to download subtitles.
- Advanced search filters.
- You can search for many subtitles simultaneously.
- One gets the search results via email.
- They take into consideration, the users future requests and act accordingly.
- One can search for multi language subtitles at the same time.
Aren’t these just enough reasons to be the number one in the listing?
2. Use Subscene for Downloading Free Movie Subtitles
This website has been in the market since 2005. Ever since then, it has been serving the users with best of everything. This website is specially designed for the hearing impaired. Subscene has recently gained a lot of popularity.
The active users keep updating the database of subtitles which helps for a better search. One can easily upload their subtitles on this website.
Not only does it have subtitles for movies in various languages, but also it has a great database for TV series and popular music videos.
Pro Tip : Enable Java on your PC before downloading for a hassle free functionality.
3. YIFY Subtitles
This is yet another website where you can explore the wide range of subtitles for movies in more than 100 languages. It is a popular movie torrent site that specializes in HD 720p, 1080p video downloads with small file sizes.
The user interface of the website is quite easy and convenient.
Fun Fact about YIFY Subtitles : The website is named after a renowned piracy group. Though the website offers piracy free files to download.
How to download YIFY Subtitles ?
- Open the YIFY Subtitles website in the browser.
- Type the movie name in the search bar and press the Enter key.
- Click on the movie poster to get the detailed page.
- Scroll down the page and you can find the movie subtitles available in various languages.
- Choose the desired subtitle language and click the download button.
- At the download page, press on DOWNLOAD SUBTITLE to download the subtitles from this website.
Unlike the name of the website, it serves the easiest and clean way for subtitles in the English language.
In the words of the website developers, “We currently have 2,094,830 subtitles for 60,143 movies and 7,022 series in 101 languages in our database of which 62,920 are made by the community, 102,330 are adapted for hearing impaired and hard-of-hearing (SDH) viewers.
There have been 2,080,527,858 subtitle downloads, 128,432 comments on subtitles, and 171,986 rates given to subtitles.”
The advanced search option makes it even more simple and easy to use and search from the vast database of subtitles.
The best part about this website is that they have already divided the homepage in to many sections. You can browse through various categories like Latest Subtitles, Subtitles from the Last 30 days, most downloaded subtitles, most commented subtitles, etc.
It makes the browsing even more convenient for the users.
The most distinguishing feature of this subtitle website is subtitle preview, which helps you to get an idea of subtitle sync with video files so that you don’t end up wasting time adjusting.
As the name suggests, the website is a complete package solution for all the movie addicts.
Like OpenSubtitles, it’s one of the subtitles sites that offer downloads for both movies and TV shows.
You’ll need to sign up for Addic7ed to be able to download subtitles. After signing in, you can search for movies using a search bar, or scroll through a drop-down menu. New releases are prominently displayed in an RSS feed at the top of the page.
How to add subtitles using VLC ?
- Open VLC Media Player and navigate to Media > Stream.
- Click the Add button to add the movie that needs to add subtitles.
- Check the Use a subtitle file box and press Browse to add the prepared subtitle file.
- Click on Stream and press Next.Tap on Add and choose a folder saving the movie and enter the file name.
- Click Next to continue.
- On the Stream Output window, choose the video codec you like and go to Profile edition.
- Switch to the Subtitles tab, and check Subtitles and Overlay subtitles on the video. Then apply the change.
- Click Next > Stream to add the downloaded subtitles to the movie.
How to adjust subtitles in VLC?
In VLC, you can press the H key to delay and the G key to forward the subtitle by 50 milliseconds in one keystroke. You can press the keys repeatedly to increase/decrease the difference.
Summary – Download Movie Subtitles for Free
Subtitles have become an integral part of the movie watching experience where they are not just required by the hearing impaired, but also by the users who seek to learn different languages with ease and finesse.
Tell us how useful was this article for you. Don’t forget to drop in the comments section below, your views and suggestions.
Don’t forget to Download Movie Subtitles for Free!